07/11/2013

French Street Style








Photo Credit.

I am a little bit in love with French style. Ok, I'm a lot bit in love. I'm smitten.  So this will be the first of many posts on what makes French women, and men for that matter, look so fabulous.

Over Christmas last year, I spent a month living in an orphanage in Vietnam. There was a French girl who would come in sporadically to help out and do gardening. I will add here, that we were out in the middle of nowhere. But, she always managed to look chic. Even when weeding! It baffled and astounded me. It wasn't effortful, it was engrained in her, so it wasn't work. Her outfits were always so simple: a neutral shirt made of a beautiful cotton, a flattering pair of leggings, little cream lace-ups or a plain sandal. Some stunning, understated jacket or cardigan, and always a scarf at hand. Always. She fascinated me.

There are a few factors that add to the French allure. The first, is their mantra that less is more. A concept I am learning myself and will therefore be speaking about a lot on this site. I love the idea of adoring everything I own, even if that means I have to have fewer pieces and spend a little more on them.

But most importantly, it's the confidence that shines with simplicity. Over-the-top is just unnecessary. They appear to not buy into the idea that boobs out and impossibly long hair makes them more feminine.

I love the idea of second look beauty. It's not the beauty that walks toward you on the street and can't be ignored. It's more subtle. It's that beauty that isn't obvious, but makes you want to take another look, and then another, as the fine details unfold.

I think it is these things that actually make this style stand out in a sea of too much make-up, chemically tired hair and passing trends.

Instead of right now, it says forever. It says I drink champagne with lunch on Sunday, not because anyone is watching, but because everyday of life should be a celebration.

Oh la la.

Much love xoxo


Post a Comment